Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Art of Necklace-Making

Growing up, I loved to make things. Particularly, things I could wear. One of my favorite activities when I was a girl scout was making necklaces. I remember sitting for what felt like hours designing, arranging and stringing beads on to thin pieces of wire. My friends and I would then often trade them amongst ourselves or give them to a family members (mostly our moms) as presents. My mom, being the phenomenal parent she is, would wear my designs with pride. *She still wears jewelry her 5th grade students make her today!

So, when my son came running to me with some random stray beads in hand, I could only think one thing: "Hey! Do you wanna make a necklace?"



An hour later, and we were still sitting cross-legged on the dining room floor, him stringing brightly colored beads on to fluorescent orange string and me, snapping picture after picture of the look of utter concentration on his face.



After he worked so hard filling a piece of string, he simply turned it upside down, dropping all the beads back in to the container. "Mama" he said, "let's do it again!"

No comments:

Post a Comment