Thursday, September 8, 2011

Play with Playdough

Playdough. I mean, who doesn't love it? As a child, I remember designing cakes, shapes, McDonald's fries (remember that kit!?) and having a blast. I waited a bit longer to introduce Playdough to Silas because of his love for placing anything and everything in his little mouth for the first two years of his life. And yes, I know you can make Playdough that is safe and edible, but it's just not the same to me. I can't ever get the consistency quite right and honestly, I really like the outlandish, bright colors of the real stuff.

So, after we made it through the "cram everything not moving (and some things that are) in to my mouth" phase ended, we dove right in to Playdough play. I was so excited giving him the little can and showing him how to roll it out in to shapes. He, however, was less than impressed. Needless to say, I was totally bummed. Then, one day while browsing the discount section of Target, I came upon this little plastic backpack filled with Playdough, scissors and cookie cutters. Of course!

 When we got home, he tore in to his new Playdough and played for hours. Making letters with the cookie cutters, cutting big pieces in to tiny strips with the safety scissors and using his tiny hands to roll long "snakes".

After playing for awhile, I realized Si was much more receptive to learning when he was fully involved in the process. For example, I'll lay the letters our beside a piece of flattened Playdough and ask him to pick a certain letter by it's sound. (ie- "pick the letter that makes the b-b-b-b sound.) He chooses the letter and, if he's correct, he gets to press the shape in to the Playdough. So simple. So worthwhile. 

I did luck up and find the perfect Playdough gift pack on super duper clearance (FYI- it's this one), but all you really need are letter cookie cutters (these are great), a few colors of Playdough and some safety scissors.

Try this with your child on the next rainy day (or super hot day, or boring day, or Tuesday)!

No comments:

Post a Comment